Hello fellow veganites and omni readers! This will be my first posting on all things vegan, and what a better way to start than to post a recipe? :)
Here is what I made for lunch today:
Whole-Grain Penne with Pesto sauce, Sauteed Broccoli, and Reduced Indian BBQ Beech Mushrooms:
– 1 cup Broccoli, washed with fruit wash/simply rinsed if organic
– 1 package Beech mushrooms (these can easily begotten at your local Chinese mart)
– 4 tbsp BBQ sauce (I used an Indian plum sauce from a restaurant, but any sauce will do)
– 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
– Olive oil
For the Pesto Sauce:
– A handful of fresh basil leaves
– 1 large clove of garlic
– 1 tomato
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– Black peppercorns to taste
– Salt, to taste
1) Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend to desired consistency (I like mine smooth, but that’s just me).
2) Place in the refrigerator till pasta is ready.
1) Prepare the pasta. Add about a teaspoon of salt to prevent stickiness.
2) Heat stove on medium heat, add 3 tbsp olive oil, and wait till the pan is ready for frying.
3) Add the garlic and broccoli.
4) Fry on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, adding a bit of water to create steam. Cover and lower heat, stirring frequently, for another 3-4 minutes.
5) Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) For the mushrooms, combine the bbq sauce and mushrooms to heated pan. Add about 3 tbsp water to the pan. Reduce the sauce and water for about 6 minutes. Leave the mushrooms in the pan so the rest of the water can evaporate.
7) Combine your pasta and the pesto, and serve immediately.
If you can’t find beech mushrooms at the store, regular mushrooms will work fine, but it won’t be as tasty. I’ve warned you! :)